Jazz Band is an auditioned group where students learn improvising techniques, a variety of scales and complex chord, rhythm and note structures. This is a 1-year advanced class for the student who has had previous training in music. This class develops the Visual and Performing Arts Standards by expanding musical expression, jazz and entertainment music concepts, aesthetic judgments, connections in society, as well as providing a greater understanding of music from various Jazz and classical periods, composers, and cultures. Concepts and skills are developed in the areas of music genres such as blues, swing, modern jazz, rock, be-bop, Latin music and pop music. Performance participation is a requirement of the class.
Jazz Band performs in the community, at school, and at adjudicated festivals throughout the entire school year. Due to the advanced nature of Jazz Band, they are expected to perform in the community quite frequently; we will do our best to notify all students of non-scheduled events at least two weeks prior to the event. It is a requirement of ALL students to attend ALL performances since a successful performance depends upon every student participating.
Participation in Jazz Band is by audition only, and is open only to Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors; musical as well as personal maturity is highly stressed. It is a privilege to be a member of the Crescenta Valley High School Jazz Band since it represents the school at every performance.
Jazz Band Concert Attire
- Jazz Concert Dress is “All Black” (black dress slacks and dress shoes, black socks, black dress shirt, any color tie)
- For all “casual” Jazz Band Performances, a CVHS Jazz Music polo Shirt and blue jeans are required. Our cost for the polo shirt is $25 and we request a donation to cover the cost of this expense. Please use the enclosed Size Sheet/Order Form. A Size Sheet/Order Form may also be downloaded from the Instrumental website, www.falconmusic.org.
Additional Jazz Band Requirements
- Brass players must bring a cloth to class every day to place on the floor when emptying spit valves.
- A Jazz music book and notebook will be issued to each student. At the end of the year, they must return the music book and notebook in good condition.
- Every student will be required to do 4 Jazz class presentations a year and attend 2 Jazz Concerts each Semester.
Instruments may be available for use; however priority will be given to students who do not own their own. We ask the following amounts from students who use school instruments to cover maintenance and repair costs.
- $50/year Percussion
- $30/year Piano
– updated 3/16/12